Buying or Building a Home

Lake City has a diverse landscape of housing options; from multi-family rentals to existing single-family homes to shovel-ready lots, you can find, or build, the home of your dreams in our community.

Building a Home:
Utility Set-Up & Connection

Application for Water and Sewer Connection
Application for Electric Connection
For more information, contact the Lake City Public Works Department at (651) 345-4711.

Building a Home:
Applications & Permitting

Building Permit Fees
For more information, contact the Lake City Planning & Community Development Department at (651) 345-6807.

Buying a Home:
Utility Set-Up & Connection

  • Lake City Public Utilities
    • Provides: Public water, sewer, and electric
    • Contact: (651) 345-5383
  • Xcel Energy
    • Provides: Gas
    • Contact: (800) 895-4999
  • Lake City Disposal
    • Provides: Trash and recycling collection
    • Contact: (651) 345-4224
For information on local realtors, builders or contractors, reach out to the Port Authority and our staff can assist you.

Southeastern Minnesota Multi-County Housing and Redevelopment Authority (SEMMCHRA)

SEMMCHRA is the Housing and Redevelopment Authority that services both Goodhue and Wabasha counties. The organization offers programs and operates projects related to Housing and Community Development.

  • Housing Services and Programs: Section 8 Rental Assistance, Family Self-Sufficiency, Public Housing (low-income and age-restricted market rate)
  • Community Development Services and Programs: Small Cities Development, Minnesota Housing Finance Agency Programs, Rehabilitation Loans and Grants, Tax Increment Financing, First Time Home Buyer Loans, Down Payment Assistance

Rental Opportunities in Lake City:

  • Pepin Apartments (Income-Restricted)
  • River Valley Apartments (Income-Restricted)
  • Lake Pepin Plaza I (Age-Restricted)
  • Lake Pepin Plaza II (Age-Restricted)

For more information, visit SEMMCHRA’s website here,  or contact their office at (651) 565-2638.

Accessory Dwelling Units

An Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a smaller, independent residential dwelling unit located on the same lot as a stand-alone single-family home. ADUs are referred to as a variety of things including mother-in-law suites, carriage houses, or secondary dwelling units. An ADU can be a converted portion of an existing home, an addition to a new or existing home, a stand-alone accessory structure, or a converted portion of an existing stand-alone accessory structure.

Per Lake City’s ordinances, both attached and detached accessory structures are permitted in residential districts. For more information on regulations surrounding ADUs, please reach out to the Port Authority and our staff can assist you. 

Housing Study

2020 Goodhue County Housing Study

Additional Resources

Goodhue County Housing Summit Webinar Series