Buying or Building a Home

Lake City has a diverse landscape of housing options; from multi-family rentals to existing single-family homes to shovel-ready lots, you can find, or build, the home of your dreams in our community.

Building a Home:
Utility Set-Up & Connection

Application for Water and Sewer Connection
Application for Electric Connection
For more information, contact the Lake City Public Works Department at (651) 345-4711.

Building a Home:
Applications & Permitting

Building Permit Fees
For more information, contact the Lake City Planning & Community Development Department at (651) 345-6807.

Buying a Home:
Utility Set-Up & Connection

  • Lake City Public Utilities
    • Provides: Public water, sewer, and electric
    • Contact: (651) 345-5383
  • Xcel Energy
    • Provides: Gas
    • Contact: (800) 895-4999
  • Lake City Disposal
    • Provides: Trash and recycling collection
    • Contact: (651) 345-4224
For information on local realtors, builders or contractors, reach out to the Port Authority and our staff can assist you.

Southeastern Minnesota Multi-County Housing and Redevelopment Authority (SEMMCHRA)

SEMMCHRA is the Housing and Redevelopment Authority that services both Goodhue and Wabasha counties. The organization offers programs and operates projects related to Housing and Community Development.

Programs and Services:

  • Housing Services and Programs: Section 8 Rental Assistance, Family Self-Sufficiency, Public Housing (low-income and age-restricted market rate)
  • Community Development Services and Programs: Small Cities Development, Minnesota Housing Finance Agency Programs, Rehabilitation Loans and Grants, Tax Increment Financing, First Time Home Buyer Loans, Down Payment Assistance

Rental Opportunities in Lake City:

  • Pepin Apartments (Income-Restricted)
  • River Valley Apartments (Income-Restricted)
  • Lake Pepin Plaza I (Age-Restricted)
  • Lake Pepin Plaza II (Age-Restricted)

Housing Rehab Program:

Funding is available for owner-occupied housing rehab. Eligible households must:

  • Live within a targeted area; look at the map here to determine if you qualify;
  • Property is suitable for rehab;
  • Homeowner’s property taxes and insurance are current;
  • Property is a permanent structure;
  • Homeowner does not have any outstanding judgements;
  • Homeowner’s income must be at or below established guidelines.

Financial assistance is in the form of a deferred loan. The amount of the deferred loan will vary on a case-by-case basis. The deferred loans are secured with a Repayment Agreement. If the property is sold, title is transferred or the property is no longer the primary residence of the participant within the first 6 years, the full amount must be repaid to the HRA.

The amount of repayment is reduced 20% for each year until the end of the 10th year. At the end of the 10th year, the loan is forgiven and becomes a grant.

For more information on SEMMCHRA, visit their website here,  or contact their office at (651) 565-2638

Accessory Dwelling Units

An Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a smaller, independent residential dwelling unit located on the same lot as a stand-alone single-family home. ADUs are referred to as a variety of things including mother-in-law suites, carriage houses, or secondary dwelling units. An ADU can be a converted portion of an existing home, an addition to a new or existing home, a stand-alone accessory structure, or a converted portion of an existing stand-alone accessory structure.

Per Lake City’s ordinances, both attached and detached accessory structures are permitted in residential districts. For more information on ADUs, visit our webpage or reach out to the Port Authority and our staff can assist you.

Housing Study

2020 Goodhue County Housing Study

Additional Resources

Goodhue County Housing Summit Webinar Series